Monday, March 9, 2009

Family Ski Night


Our family (minus Ethan) for the first time this season finally went skiing together. (Rick and the 3 oldest go every Saturday.)  After all Rick bought me skis, boots, and really expensive mittens for Christmas - I had better go night skiing at least once. (I think he really wants me to ski. Well, at least get good enough to ski the bunny or intermediate slopes with Emily. I will "never catch up to Lindsey and Jacob.") By nature I am a very nervous person and don't like to take risks. Especially when I have seen a lot of injuries from a certain said sport in the ER. I told Rick on the way up that I was ready to move off the bunny hill.  I was skiing down the bunny hill feeling pretty good with my skill level (even if Emily was beating me down the hill.) Rick even stopped to give me some pointers as I was now "teachable." Then Rick announced, "You are ready we are all going up the lakeview triple." I was ready! This was going to be great! Then I got on the ski-lift and remembered that I really don't like heights and Rick started to give me pointers. "OK you will do just fine. There are a few pretty steep parts but no big deal just do what I say." Now I was worried. We all got off the ski lift just fine. Lindsey and Jacob zoomed down the hill. Emily snowplowed down the steep parts and was off. Rick got me down the steep parts. I did not fall, but I did not like it one bit. I was getting nervous. It was dark. There weren't many lights. I had never been on the run before. And it was icy. Then Rick turned to me and said "You are on your own. I have to go catch up with Emily." What!!! At this point I seriously freaked out. However I took a deep breath and realized I could either ski down, walk down or take the ride of shame. (I maybe a wimp but there was no way I was going to take the latter option.) I eventually made it down the hill - sitting down once (NOT falling). After a hot chocolate break with the family - we skied the last few runs together down the bunny hill. Actually, I was left in charge of Emily and she thought it was great. I even had to do things to slow myself down so I wouldn't get in front of her. Even though family ski night was essentially mom alone on the mountain for most of the night, Rick was right I could ski an intermediate run. Hooray for mom!

4 comments:

Char and Chris said...

Seriously impressive. I used to ski all the time in high school and in college, but I'm too afraid I'd break something now. I'm WAY too old.

Anny Case said...

Woohoo! A blog post from Sandpoint! I'm afraid I would have wound up taking the ride of shame. You are very, very brave. I wonder what Rick's equivalent to your skiing an intermediate run would be? I would find out and cash it in. :)

Unknown said...

I am totally impressed. I have never yet been downhill skiing in my entire lifetime! Way to go.

Kako said...

I wonder if you'll ever learn to love it. I bet you will. Bob (my brother) says he loves taking the lift and looking at the landscape almost as much as skiing.