Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Couch Saga or Out with the old, in with the new.



After 11+ years of marriage we have finally purchased some couches - NEW. Yup, that's right we actually bought something and it wasn't from goodwill.  Our living room setup no longer consists of particle board and a couch that we bought "used" prior to dental school. I know that you will all miss the blue background on most of our family's pictures or for those who experienced first hand the lovely furniture, the "automatic" reclining of the seats of the couch when you sat in them or just happened to bump them as you walked by. It was a little surreal to see the blue couch drive off to the dump as I remembered some of its highlights. Each of my children has a new baby picture of me holding them while basking in the luxuriousness of that couch, many forts and tents were built using the couch, and many heartfelt conversations were had with dear friends while we kicked back and relaxed. (However, I have to think that they might not have been so relaxed if one knew how many different things had been spilled on that couch. :) But I digress.) 
The new couches are brown leather and very comfortable to sit on. The tables are oak with a slate top - its quite fun and neat looking. I was laughing as I realized the date I started this post was May 28th and I am just now getting around to posting. However, this time I have a really good excuse, no a really good reason. We originally bought the couches the end of April after spending hours in the store looking at different couches. It took us twice as long because one would stay with the kids in the car while the other would look at the couches. (We couldn't quite bear the thought of keeping 4 kids from jumping on furniture.) The kids did amazingly well considering they spent the day in the car or playing in empty parking lots. We originally ordered a living room set - the couch, love seat chair combo. Well when they delivered it a month later (don't ask) we just couldn't get the look right, so we called them up and Rick was able to get them to take the the love seat and sofa back in exchange for another couch. The catch was the couch wouldn't be in for a while and it would be another month before they could deliver the couch and pick up the other furniture. (The store was in Spokane which is an hour and a half away.) So for a month the love seat and chair were in my corner with blankets over them and nobody could touch them. I didn't even cook bacon during that time because I was afraid it would make them smell and the store wouldn't take them back. The couch finally came and the old (new) furniture is gone (not without the delivery men almost dropping the love seat as they were loading it on the van - gasp!) 
I love my couches! I don't know if it is because I had to wait so long to get them or because they just look good or because they are so comfortable. Regardless its exciting to buy our first pieces of nice furniture.
(Now for an explanation of the title - it was inspired by one of my favorite reads of late "Sorcery and Cecilia or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot" by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer.  Sometimes its just too hard to decide on one title...)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I still remember when we bought our couch set (OK - so we technically only bought the loveseat as the couch was a gift). To this day it is the only piece of furniture that we have purchased new from a store! Someday, maybe more????....who knows?

Anny Case said...

So glad to finally see The Couches! They are very classy. I will, however, miss the adventure of sitting on the blue wonder -- it does add a certain amusement park quality to your sitting around when the couch reclines or un-reclines at the least expected moment. Now you just need one of the kids to mar the new furniture in some way (e.g. cut a hole in it or spill a can of tuna fish on the cushions) so they can be truly broken in as family couches.

Kako said...

Didn't even cook bacon, that's impressive! I keep telling Daniel (who would like to put every last penny we have saved into the house), that we don't get to keep the house, but we do get to keep furniture, and nice furniture makes the house look so much better so let's invest in that. It hasn't gone over too well yet, but I'm working on it! BTW, I need your phone number! If only we had a nice new desk maybe I would be organized enough to find it.