Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Pioneer Child



I came home from a trip to Costco to find our swingset covered with Lindsey's clothes. (I don't know why I didn't think to take a picture.) Apparently, Lindsey decided to wash her clothes in our little baby swimming pool "just like the pioneers." She used soap and scrubbed them in the water (I am not sure about rinsing.) Then she hung them up to dry. When it was getting dark I asked her to bring in her clothes. So she went and got her big wicker basket and folded the clothes one by one and put them in her basket. I informed Lindsey that she could put her clothes in the dryer if they were still wet. Her reply "I don't want to use one bit of electricity to clean my clothes just like the pioneers." Way to go green!
This was a good reminder to me of how much children are influenced by what they read. A lot of Lindsey's play time centers around the current genre she is reading: pioneers, princesses, etc. Of all the things she could pick up on, I am glad it is these things. And I am very glad I read everything she reads before she does so I can make sure she is reading appropriate literature. That which will add positively to her world and ours.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is great! I can't even get my kids to do their laundry in a machine! I really think our kids need to hang out together! =) Your mom said that you guys are coming to the Cabin next month! Let's get together!

Anny Case said...

"Pioneer children sang as they washed and washed and washed and washed and waaaaaaashed!" I love it!

Kako said...

You weren't suppose to read my blog until tomorrow you snoop! And, I generally applaud Little House until my Lindsey was fitting her fingers around her waste since one of the books it says that a character's husbands could put his fingers around her waste. Knowing too much about Rachel Sabey (who constantly is doing that) that made me angry. Okay, just a soap box and the devil's advocate, well, and trying to validate to myself that it's okay to not be super skinny. Where am I going with this? Oh and Happy Birthday!

Tara Heiner Blog said...

Hey Rosalee!! Cinda told me about your blog. Your kids are so big and cute. Congrats on your new edition. We have a year left in Nashville and then we have no idea where we are going for Matt's internship. Glad I found your blog. Take care,

Tara Heiner