Chronicles of our run-of-the-mill and at times rip-roaring family.
Friday, January 23, 2009
"Lost Generation"
I actually read one of the mass forwarded emails as opposed to just deleting them. (Sorry, the truth is out.) Kudos to the video's writer. Let me know what you think.
The world screams in the voice of a cynic and so many listen. I even find myself listening. When I was at Ricks, I had a fabulous instructor who taught in the Early Childhood Education program. She said that we have the power to influence, and our influence is more powerful than control. She was speaking specifically of our influence over children, but it applies to the world at large. She taught me a lot about "positive guidance" vs more punitive tones of communication. The negative slant only needs to be shifted slightly upward, to send an entirely different message. She said that if you just turn your problem inside out, and approach it with a solution mentality--the problem takes a back seat to a peaceful resolution. She graded us (from behind the observation windows) on the language and tone of our communications with the children in our care. I know that when I was being "watched", I was careful with the things I said, and crafted them into this lovely, "positive guidance" package. As the reality of full-steam ahead, all the time mothering has worn me down to the nubs, I find that my responses and communiqué is not always flowery and pretty. But I know that when I see the world as good, and full of light and hope, our home is a splendid place. When I see all that is wrong and amplify that, the opposite result gets hurled back at me. This video message can apply to us personally--from the conversation at the dinner table, right down to the tapes we play over and over in our head. There is strength in resolute optimism. I know that although the world will hear all the garbage that is swirling around us, and despair, I feel an URGENT need to be a messenger of HOPE! As it's Easter--there is no greater hope that one founded in Jesus Christ. Rosalee, thanks for this cerebral meandering. :)
I am the mother of 5 highly imaginative children. The wife of an organized and busy man. Me, I just try to combine the two in a sane way. Some days I succeed and some days I fall short. But either way, its a fun adventure that I wouldn't trade.
The grocery store had a big display of artichokes. I pointed them out to Emily asking if she had ever seen an artichoke before. "Artichoke? No, I don't think so. I don't think it would be very fun to be choked." 05/09
Ethan (after tooting and much to the delight of his older siblings): "Poop! Poop!" 03/09
Lindsey: "Mom, my youth is just slipping away. In 3 years I will be 12 and nearly an adult. Can you believe it?" 01/09
Emily's new favorite query: "Are you talking to me or just to yourself?"
Emily: "I have skied lots of times down the bunny hill and have never seen the bunnies. Did they move? Or are they just hiding?" 01/09
Lindsey after eating Christmas Eve dinner: I am so glad that we are having turkey and not ham. We'll be so tired and go straight to bed because of all the tryptophan." 12/08
Emily while "reading" her reverence picture book and seeing the picture of Christ in Gethsemane "Oh look, there's Jesus lost in the woods and He's praying for help to get out. I don't like the woods they are scary." 12/08
Lindsey: I know what you want for Christmas Mom. Some peace and quiet and a lot of money. 12/08
Emily singing "I am a child of God and he has sent me here. Oh, jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way." 12/08
Jacob during Sacrament meeting after examining his arms: When my muscles get big we will have to buy me some new shirts. 11/08
Ethan upon awaking "Hi, hi, hi, hi, hi, hi!" 10/08
Emily: Look the moon is following us! (And on a cloudy day) How come the moon isn't following us? 10/08
Jacob: I know who was here before everybody else... Star Wars! 08/08
Jacob while eating his FOURTH bowl of cherrios: "Mom when is my appetite going to come back?" 07/08
Emily after listening to people comment on how big Ethan is getting: "I'm getting bigger just like Ethan is." 07/08
Lindsey describing a book she was reading over the phone to Aunt Anny. "The book is called Wee Free Men. Wee as in small, not as in wii the game with two controllers." 06/08
Jacob's reason for arguing with Emily: "She's just being a Philistine!" (Too many living scriptures movies??) 05/08
Emily after dressing up "You can call me princess if you want to." (or frog, or ladybug, or... depending on the costume) 05/08
Jacob "Riding the sun would be really easy except you would get all burned up." 05/08
Lindsey talking with a friend in the backseat of the van: "You know me I am very curious." then she whispers "I am so curious that sometimes I get myself into trouble." 05/08
Jacob "Ethan's poo smells like I am tasting popcorn." 05/08
Emily standing up in her highchair "I am tall!" After getting out "Oh, now I am tiny." 04/08
Lindsey (singing at the top of her lungs) "I'm clever. I'm pretty cool. I'm kind. I'm beautiful. Who's afraid of me? No one. Everybody's my friend. I'm cool. uh-huh!" (Someone is not lacking in self-confidence.) 04/08
Emily "Mom, lets play hide and secret." 04/08
Lindsey: "When Ethan cries at night that is when he just pours out his sorrows." 04/08
Jacob: After putting in my headband and sticking his bangs straight up "Do I look like a spiky dragon?" 04/08
Rosalee: Emily tonight you don't get to play at the Miller's but another time you can." Emily: "Oh, when I can drive there myself."04/08
Emily: "the raindrops are dancing" 03/08
Jacob joining a conversation with the missionaries about the occasional drudgery of their work. "Do you know what would be really boring? If you stayed up all night doing cartwheels." 03/08
Rick's version of the birds and the bees:Lindsey was very excited about the birth of baby Ethan. Before she saw the baby in person, Rick showed the kids the video from the hospital. When Lindsey was telling Anny about the new baby, she reported, "The baby was covered in jam when he came out." When Anny questioned this, she insisted, "My mom ate some jam before the baby came out of her tummy and it got all over him." (This was the best Rick could do?!) 11/07
Lindsey and Jacob were talking about driver's licenses.Lindsey said, "You have to look straight ahead and watch the road ALL the time!" Jacob's reply, "I can't do that. I'll throw up and get sick!!" (10/07)
After being sent upstairs to pick up their mess one Sunday, I overheard Lindsey and Jacob talking as they were looking in the 10 Commandments book: "See, right here it says we need to keep the Sabbath Day Holy and mom is making us break that by having us work today." "It's not fair." 07/07
Trying to psych the kids up for the move to our "new" house, we explained some of the highlights of the house to them. Apparently there was one that excited Jacob the most as I overheard him telling others multiple times about the house "We're moving to a yellow house with FOUR potties." 04/07
While shopping for nylons Lindsey asked what control top nylons were for. Rosalee explained their purpose. A few days later Rosalee was eating potato chips. Lindsey quipped "If you keep on eating chips you are going to need those nylons." 03/07
"Emily would you like some oatmeal for breakfast?" "No!" "Pancakes?" "No!" "What would you like to have for breakfast?" "Ice Cream!" 02/07
3 comments:
I love that! Really cool. And I admit, I most often delete forwards!
That was neat. Interesting that it was produced or at least sponsored by AARP.
The world screams in the voice of a cynic and so many listen. I even find myself listening. When I was at Ricks, I had a fabulous instructor who taught in the Early Childhood Education program. She said that we have the power to influence, and our influence is more powerful than control. She was speaking specifically of our influence over children, but it applies to the world at large. She taught me a lot about "positive guidance" vs more punitive tones of communication. The negative slant only needs to be shifted slightly upward, to send an entirely different message. She said that if you just turn your problem inside out, and approach it with a solution mentality--the problem takes a back seat to a peaceful resolution. She graded us (from behind the observation windows) on the language and tone of our communications with the children in our care. I know that when I was being "watched", I was careful with the things I said, and crafted them into this lovely, "positive guidance" package. As the reality of full-steam ahead, all the time mothering has worn me down to the nubs, I find that my responses and communiqué is not always flowery and pretty. But I know that when I see the world as good, and full of light and hope, our home is a splendid place. When I see all that is wrong and amplify that, the opposite result gets hurled back at me. This video message can apply to us personally--from the conversation at the dinner table, right down to the tapes we play over and over in our head. There is strength in resolute optimism. I know that although the world will hear all the garbage that is swirling around us, and despair, I feel an URGENT need to be a messenger of HOPE! As it's Easter--there is no greater hope that one founded in Jesus Christ. Rosalee, thanks for this cerebral meandering. :)
Post a Comment